Many individuals casually prepare a few income tax returns for family members, friends, or acquaintances. Many of such preparers are professionals in industry; and not in full-time tax preparation. The manual is designed to provide a preparation update to the casual preparer and has been updated for impacts of the Protecting Americans Against Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015. The manual involves not only new tax rules for the current year, but also understanding how the new and old rules apply to 2016 tax forms. The up-to-date review of important tax form changes will be invaluable to attendees who prepare tax returns for individuals.
- Do I need a PTIN?
- Am I required to register as an ‘Authorized e-file Provider?’
- Where do I start?
- Professional people acting Professionally, and if not, what are the penalties?
- A tour of the most recent changes starting from gross income and ending with alternative minimum tax (AMT) and selected credits including the latest IRS guidance on significant recent tax legislation
- Preparation of various Form 1040 individual tax returns and schedules; provided answers include “filled-in” forms
- Tax filing status – Rules for filing status and planning opportunities and pitfalls
- Self-employed person issues
- Sale and exchange of property – Understanding Form 4797 and depreciation recapture; capital gains
- Schedule C deductions
- A working understanding of passive losses – How to handle rental property and how the passive loss rules flow to the tax forms
- Itemized deductions – A thorough understanding of what’s deductible and what’s not
- Interest deductions – Limitations and timing problems
- How the Affordable Care Act affects tax returns
- Review of new laws and changes in old forms to provide a familiarity for the upcoming tax season
- Study 2016 income tax Forms and Schedules for individual clients
- Understand which income tax returns and schedules have changed
- Review individual income tax preparation for 2016
Who should take this course:
Industry or non-tax professionals preparing individual income tax returns for the current tax year
Basic familiarity with tax rules relating to individual taxation