This webinar with Karen L. Hawkins, the immediate past Director of the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility will provide you with an insider’s view of how a disciplinary case is processed, including how a case arises; what conduct is the most likely to result in discipline; and what types of discipline can be imposed. Key provisions of Circular 230 will be discussed, including an in-depth discussion of the six different provisions which address various aspects of a tax practitioner’s due diligence obligations. This will be a unique opportunity to hear the former Director’s perspective on how best to avoid discipline and how best to defend yourself during any investigation.
The presentation will draw not only on the six years Ms. Hawkins spent as Director, OPR but her more than 30 years practicing as a nationally recognized tax controversy lawyer in California.
- Office of Professional Responsibility – Authority and Procedures
- Current status of the regulations governing tax practice before the IRS (Circular 230 Rev. 6/2014)
- In depth coverage of the various Due Diligence obligations of tax professionals
- Overview of other key Circular 230 provisions
- Practitioner responsibilities to their clients and to the Tax Administration System
- Best Practices for all tax professionals
- Understand the key provisions of Circular 230 and how they apply to your practice
- Know your rights and responsibilities under Circular 230
- Understand the lifecycle of a disciplinary case and its possible outcomes
Who should take this course:
Preparers, advisors, representatives and anyone who interacts on a regular basis with the Internal Revenue Service